Friday, June 19, 2009

Music.

Back again! Two posts in as many months... got to be a record!

I've really been gettting back into music recently. Whether it be stuff my Mum used to play on Sunday mornings when I was a young'un, or personal guilty pleasures, it has all been on my aural menu of recent weeks.

From Simon and Garfunkel, Mamas and Papas, Elvis Costello and David Bowie, to The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Ladyhawke, White Lies, and countless others.

I know I'm not being profound when I say how music has such an effect on (nearly) every human being the world over, however, I really do feel a deep connection to music. To be supremely cliche about it; music can make me truely elated, and it can make cry. A recent case has to be watching this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad-A7-yxys, now Bill doesnt have the most perfect voice, but the atmosphere this song created, made my skin tingle, and my eyes to well up. The song that gets me most though, is this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZQJZdcCU4, I was listening to this song on the bus, with my headphones on. As the song reaches its climax: a simple high pitched voice, the drums rise, a beautiful yet simple guitar twangs, and Keles (the lead singer) voice pierces through. On this one day, this particular journey, I had tears of pure happiness rolling down my cheeks, and a huge grin on my face.

Music is a major part of my life, yet I do not give it the time, or effort it deserves.

There is one thing I do wish I could do more of, and that is create music. I can play Guitar, and Bass relatively well, and if my confidence was a bit higher I'd probably even be bold enough to say I can sing half-decent too! But, unlike many people who I know, there is something that stops me. Probably a self-concious, or self-image issue there, but it still frustrates me. I think I am too hung up on trying to be 'cool', or I am concerned that if I do make an attempt it won't be good enough and I will embarass myself.
When I think about these things, I realise how silly it all is, and the main reason for the existance of music, let alone the personal interaction with it, is for fun!

These guys are my beacon, my glimmer of hope. They, from what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong!) are mainly into this for the fun, and they can write a bloody good riff too! They are personal friends of mine who I look to to remind myself about having fun, and not caring about what people think. www.myspace.com/zstacks Check out Toffee Hammer!

It's time to move forward... and as my last post said, I must try and work through the things stopping me doing what I want to do. I'll have to get out my guitars, give them a dust off, and get creative! If anyone fancies a jam session, let me know, and we'll see what happens!

Matt

1 comment:

Motormouth said...

Welcome back to blogging! Music is, to me, as important as gravity, and in many ways, does a lot of the same things.

We had this problem of confidence with John, and the simple answer seems to be, you need to start jamming with friends, then, when they don't garotte you with your own guitar strings, you gain confidence. We should organise some sort of Jam session, we usually do this on sundays at some point, I shall consult the others, should you be up for it, and we can all widdle together, as it were.

Oh, and thanks for the plug and the kind words, we are in it for the fun, but we intend to continue writing fine songs, and in my case, actually learning to play!